In short, a company is responsible for protecting human rights and the environment - throughout its supply chain. This requires the company to look beyond its own operations to its (direct and indirect) business partners.
Due diligence requires taking structured actions, including:
- Regularly analyzing, prioritizing and disclosing risks
- Building policies and mechanisms for prevention
- Promptly mitigating and addressing adverse impacts
- Providing channels for all stakeholders to receive information and to report issues (without retribution)
- Publicly communicating the existence, policies, solutions and mechanisms for all of the above