- Same Composition, Same Brand Name:
- As long as no changes have been made to the chemical product (composition or brand/trade) covered under a supplier's certificate, a chemcial reseller/wholesaler may use their supplier's certificate/label, in their supplier's name.
- - OR - resellers can apply for an ECO PASSPORT certificate in their own name for products already covered by the chemical manufacturer's certificate. No additional testing is required and the new certificate owner is listed in the Buying Guide.
- Same Composition, Different Brand Name:
- If no changes to the composition have been made, wholesalers and resellers of chemicals can apply for an ECO PASSPORT certificate in their own name for products already covered by the chemical manufacturer's certificate. No additional testing is required and the new certificate owner is listed in the Buying Guide.
- No Pre-Certification
- If no manufacturer's certificate is available, it is possible for distributors and retailers to apply for a limited certification. This temporary certification may only be renewed once for a maximum certificate validity of two years total.
Regulations and initiatives change as rapidly as trends in this industry, especially with regard to substances that harm humans or the environment. Companies are required to constantly monitor and implement these changes in complicated chemical management systems. Brands and retailers often enforce their own restricted substance lists.
OEKO-TEX® ECO PASSPORT is an independent and standardized testing and certification system for chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries used to manufacture textiles and leather. The process verifies that chemical products and their ingredients meet specific requirements for safety, sustainability and regulatory compliance.
The ECO PASSPORT Restricted Substance List (RSL) combines substances restricted through ECO PASSPORT, STANDARD 100, LEATHER STANDARD and STeP, integrating seamlessly with downstream OEKO-TEX® certifications.
- Any chemicals, colorants, auxiliaries and formulations used for the production of textiles and leather can be certified with ECO PASSPORT
- OEKO-TEX® ECO PASSPORT certificates are valid for 1 year
- The OEKO-TEX® Association performs control tests on certified products
- Annual renewal and testing is required - renewal applications can be started up to 3 months before expiration
- Gives textile and leather manufacturers a trustworthy solution for responsibly sourcing independently verified chemicals that are safer for human ecology and the environment
- Promotes certified chemicals via the OEKO-TEX® Buying Guide - a free, online sourcing tool accessed >250,000 times/year
- Provides chemical managers reliable control over substances before entering production
- 3rd party certification protects confidential product data while providing transparency that market demands
- Builds feedback into the process so improvements can be implemented at each stage to avoid extra analysis costs
- Integrates seamlessly into the OEKO-TEX® modular system and downstream certifications (STeP for environmentally friendly production facilities, STANDARD 100 and LEATHER STANDARD for safer products)
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements, ZDHC levels 1-3, REACH SVHC list, GoBlu/BHive, Foursource and other industry initiatives
Any manufacturer of textile or leather chemicals can apply for an ECO PASSPORT certificate. ECO PASSPORT is suitable for all chemical products (chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries) - and their formulations - that are used in the textile, leather, apparel, footwear, home textiles or similar sectors. ECO PASSPORT certified chemicals are listed with their product trade names in the OEKO-TEX® validity check and buying guide.
Applicant completes the application form and submits data on the chemicals used
- RSL / MRSL check
We conduct a CAS number comparison of the indicated substances
- Analytical verification
We analyze the chemicals in our labs
- Self assessment (optional until 2023)
The applicant submits data about the existing manufacturing conditions
- On-site visit (optional)
We visit the company to check the applicant's data on facility level
We issue reports and ECO PASSPORT certificate, valid for one year