STeP = Sustainable Textile (and Leather) Production
STeP is an independent certification system that helps companies demonstrate their commitment to protecting people and the planet - verified by a neutral partner. STeP certification facilitates transparent and continuous improvement of sustainable production and responsible working conditions in production facilities throughout the textile and leather supply chains.
The most comprehensive certification, STeP verifies compliance with globally standardized criteria in all areas of sustainable manufacturing, including safety, environmental and chemical management and efficient use of resources.
- Environmental performance
- Chemical management
- Quality management
- Environmental management
- Social responsibility
- Health & Safety
- Like all OEKO-TEX® services, STeP is specifically tailored to the textile and leather industries
- An online assessment and on-site audits are required
- Certain factors (like child labor) immediately disqualify a facility
- As long as requirements are met, STeP certificates are valid for 3 years
- renewable every 3 years upon successful re-certification
- STeP is a facility certification, not a product label
- STeP is a main component of OEKO-TEX® MADE IN GREEN
Production facilities along the textile and leather supply chains can be certified with STeP.
The detailed certificate shows the facility's achievement on the 3-level scoring system - overall and for each module.
- Used by global brands and retailers to find independently verified suppliers that meet environmental protection and social responsibility requirements
- Enables clear and comprehensive documentation of sustainability efforts to the supply chain (certificate) and to consumers (MADE IN GREEN label)
- Facilitates trust for entering new markets and partnerships through independent verification
- Helps manufacturers throughout the supply chain improve efficiency in production processes
- Supports comprehensive analysis and evaluation of sustainable production conditions
- Specifically tailored to conditions in the textile, leather and apparel industries
- OEKO-TEX® collaborations, such as the Open Apparel Registry and Foursource, help increase the visibility of certified companies
Applicant completes the application on the OEKO-TEX® website (specify Hohenstein as your institute)
Applicant completes the online questionnaire and provides required documentation where needed
Hohenstein evaluates all information and data submitted by the applicant
- On-site audit
Our STeP auditor verifies the data at the production facilities
Our STeP auditor creates a detailed report and provides necessary corrective measures
We issue your final report and STeP certificate
Please contact us if you need any help.