Hohenstein's biodegradation test method uses controlled soil burial over a defined test period. These tests are based on international standards that determine the decomposition and degradation behavior of materials.
The results allow you to determine the decay process and environmental impact of a textile while transparently demonstrating that you have considered its entire life cycle.
Especially suited for:
- Textile manufacturers
- Textile finishers
- Brands and retailers
- DIN EN ISO 11721-1: Textiles - Determination of resistance of cellulose containing textiles to micro-organisms - Soil burial test - Part 1: Assessment of rot-retardant finishing
- DIN EN ISO 846: Plastics - Evaluation of the action of microorganisms on plastics
- DIN EN 13432: Requirements for packaging recoverable through composting and biodegradation
Based on these standards, Hohenstein offers customized testing for individual requirements.
- The mass loss of the textile:
examination of the decay process of a product by micro-organisms like fungi and bacteria in combination with oxygen in the soil.
- The ecotoxicological safety of the textile:
cress and earthworm tests are used to assess the impact on the environment.
The soil burial tests take place under standardized conditions.
- under standardized laboratory conditions or
- under outdoor conditions (exposed to the climate)
- Objective and reliable evaluation of biodegradability
- Product optimization and educated purchasing decisions
- Determination of the risks to the environment from your product
- Quality assurance based on ecotoxicological considerations
- Claim support for downstream customers with Hohenstein certificate
Ensure that organic cotton has not been genetically modified.
Reduce environmental impact and comply with industry standards (ZDHC, OEKO-TEX®, etc.) by thoroughly testing wastewater from textile production.
Transparently document and certify your environmental impact reduction efforts.
Ensure the chemicals you use meet requirements for sustainable textile production and safe textile products.