Regulations and initiatives change as rapidly as trends in this industry, especially with regard to substances that harm humans or the environment. Companies are required to constantly monitor and implement these changes in complicated chemical management systems. Brands and retailers often enforce their own restricted substance lists.
ECO PASSPORT by OEKO-TEX® is an independent and standardized testing and certification system for chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries used to manufacture textiles and leather. The verification process analyzes whether the chemical products and their ingredients meet specific requirements for safety, sustainability and compliance with statutory regulations.
- Gives textile and leather manufacturers a trustworthy solution for responsibly sourcing independently verified chemicals that are safer for human ecology and the environment
- Provides chemical managers have reliable control over substances before entering production
- 3rd party certification protects confidential product data while providing the transparency the market demands.
- Builds feedback into the process so improvements can be implemented at each stage to avoid extra analysis costs
- Integrates seamlessly into the OEKO-TEX® modular system - perfectly aligned with downstream certifications (STeP for environmentally friendly production facilities, STANDANDARD 100 and LEATHER STANDARD for safer products).
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements, ZDHC levels 1-3, REACH SVHC list, GoBlu/BHive and other industry initiatives
- RSL/MRSL Check
Transparent process to screen for chemicals of concern via cost-effective CAS number comparison - Chemical ingredients are compared with the OEKO-TEX® list of harmful chemicals.
- Analytical Testing
Analytical verification in our labs to ensure chemicals can be used for the sustainable production of textile or leather products that are safe for human ecology. Testing ensures the certified chemicals do not contain unwanted impurities and side products.
- Self Assessment (Optional)
Review of the chemical manufaturer's responsible systems relating to environmental & quality management, health & safety, social responsibility
- On-Site Visit (Optional)
Control at chemical supplier facility to check product stewardship system
Option 1 allows ZDHC Gateway listing at level 1.
Option 2 adds a self assessment and qualifies for ZDHC Gateway listing at level 2.
Option 3 adds a product stewardship on-site visit and qualifies for ZDHC Gateway listing at level 3.
- Any manufacturer of textile or leather chemicals can apply for ECO PASSPORT certification. ECO PASSPORT is suitable for all chemical products (chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries) - and their formulations - that are used in the textile, leather, apparel, footwear, home textiles or similar sectors.
- Wholesalers and resellers of chemicals can also apply for a certificate in their own name for products already covered by the chemical manufacturer's certificate and no additional changes to the composition have been made.
If no manufacturer's certificate is available, it is possible for distributors and retailers to apply for a limited certification. This temporary certification may only be renewed once for a maximum certificate validity of two years total. (Annual certificate renewal for chemical manufacturers is not limited).
An ECO PASSPORT certificate is valid for one year.
By signing the declaration of conformity in the application, the applicant authorizes the OEKO-TEX® Association to perform control tests on its certified products during the period that certificate is valid. You can apply to renew the certificate up to three months before it expires.
The on-site visit verifies that the manufacturer has systems in place for environmental management, health and safety, quality management and social responsibility. It is currently optional for ECO PASSPORT by OEKO-TEX® but required for ZDHC Level 3 integration.
Product stewardship checks:
- Certificates for environmental management system
- Documentation on wastewater treatment and waste handling
- Commitments to worker health and safety (training records)
Clearly marked samples for testing should be sent directly to our lab in Boenningheim, Germany.
Phone: +49 7143 271-0
Hohenstein Institute America