MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® is a traceable product label that is issued for textiles that have been:
- Tested for harmful substances
- Produced in environmentally friendly facilities
- Produced in safe and socially responsible workplaces
The MADE IN GREEN label can be awarded to any textile product at any stage of production, enabling a whole new level of transparency for companies and consumers.
- The MADE IN GREEN label highlights long-term suppliers who have worked to achieve sustainability objectives and good working conditions
- The OEKO-TEX® system assists in establishing and tracking sustainable production and working conditions through the supply chain
- Marketing opportunities in the OEKO-TEX® Buying Guide and external listings such as Texbase CertLink and Foursource.
The Standards Map analyzes over 260 sustainability standards for in-depth comparisons.
View this map on sustainabilitymaps.org
The Standard Map's comparisons are based on data from the International Trade Centre (ITC), the development agency of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the United Nations (UN). The ITC is supported by USAID, the German BMZ, the EU Commission and other international organizations.
MADE IN GREEN labeled products must meet the following requirements:
- Each component that makes up at least 5% of the total weight of the labeled product must originate from production facilities that have been certified with STeP by OEKO-TEX®.
- At least 85% of a labeled product's total weight must originate from production facilities that have been STeP certified.
- All cut and sew and wet-chemical processing must take place in a STeP certified facility.
- The product must be STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® certified.
Interim products that are sold to companies within the supply chain must be certified with STeP by OEKO-TEX® and meet all the criteria mentioned above.
The product ID provides information about where a product was manufactured and shows that it has been tested for harmful substances and produced in accordance with OEKO-TEX® principles.
Any company within the textile and leather value chain can apply for the MADE IN GREEN label.
Manufacturers, converters, wholesalers, retailers and brands that fulfill the criteria are allowed to use product label.
Non-producers can obtain labels without their own certifications if their suppliers fulfil the MADE IN GREEN conditions. Brands and retailers can re-label MADE IN GREEN products from suppliers under their own company name.
There are no application or license fees for MADE IN GREEN labels. Access to the myOEKO-TEX® portal is also free of charge.
The MADE IN GREEN label requires annual renewal.
A purchaser of a MADE IN GREEN labeled product must be able to trace the information for five years. If there are any changes to the supply chain that relate to the label requirements, a new label must be issued.
MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® is a traceable product label for textiles that have been tested for harmful substances plus manufactured with environmentally friendly and socially responsible production processes.
The Green Button is the German government's certification for sustainable textiles.
MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® is one of the few labels that fulfills the certification's product criteria.
Hohenstein Institute America