Regulations and initiatives change as rapidly as trends in this industry, especially with regard to substances that harm humans or the environment. Companies are required to constantly monitor and implement these changes in complicated chemical management systems. Brands and retailers often enforce their own restricted substance lists.
ECO PASSPORT by OEKO-TEX® gives textile and leather manufacturers a trustworthy solution for responsibly choosing independently verified chemicals. It allows chemical manufacturers to credibly communicate their efforts without public disclosure of formulations. An ECO PASSPORT certification ensure compliance with the OEKO-TEX® modular system, ZDHC MRSL, REACH SVHC list, GoBlu/BHive and other industry initiatives.
ECO PASSPORT by OEKO-TEX® is an independent and standardized testing and certification system for chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries used to manufacture textiles and leather. The verification process analyzes whether the chemical products and their ingredients meet specific requirements for safety, sustainability and compliance with statutory regulations.
- ECO PASSPORT certification facilitates the choice of chemicals that are safer for human ecology and the environment
- Responsible chemical managers have reliable control over substances before entering production
- ECO PASSPORT integrates seamlessly into the modular STANDARD 100 system and is perfectly aligned with the STeP certification for environmentally friendly production facilities
- ECO PASSPORT certificate ensures that legal requirements are met
- 3rd party certification ensures that confidential product data is protected while providing the transparency the market demands.
- Feedback built into the three-stage process means improvements can be implemented at each stage to avoid extra analysis costs
- ECO PASSPORT certificate ensures ZDHC (Zero Discharge Hazardous Chemicals) conformity (level 1 or 3)
RSL/MRSL Check: a comparison of the ingredients in the chemicals with the OEKO-TEX® list of harmful chemicals based on their CAS numbers.
Analytical Verification: analytical testing in our laboratory to ensure that the certified chemicals can be used for the sustainable production of textile or leather products that are optimized for human ecology.
Product Stewardship: (currently optional) review of the responsible systems that the chemical manufacturer has put in place – measures relating to working conditions and environmental management (evaluation and audit).
Any manufacturer of textile or leather chemicals can apply for ECO PASSPORT certification. ECO PASSPORT is suitable for all chemical products (chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries) - and their formulations - that are used in the textile, leather, apparel, footwear, home textiles or similar sectors.
Wholesalers and resellers of chemicals can also apply for a certificate in their own name for products already covered by the chemical manufacturer's certificate and no additional changes to the composition have been made.
If no manufacturer's certificate is available, it is possible for distributors and retailers to apply for a limited certification. This temporary certification may only be renewed once for a maximum certificate validity of two years total. (Annual certificate renewal for chemical manufacturers is not limited).
An ECO PASSPORT certificate is valid for one year. By signing the declaration of conformity in the application, the applicant authorizes the OEKO-TEX® Association to perform control tests on its certified products during the period that certificate is valid. You can apply to renew the certificate up to three months before it expires.
This on-site visit verifies that the manufacturer has systems in place for environmental management, health and safety, quality management and social responsibility. It is currently optional for ECO PASSPORT by OEKO-TEX® but required for ZDHC Level 3 integration.