How does OEKO-TEX® certify recycled materials?
Reuse and recycling play vital roles in reducing impact and waste. But, given their previous life, recycled textiles pose different quality assurance and traceability challenges than virgin material.
If a certified product contains recycled materials, there are additional requirements for OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 certification:
- A minimum amount of recycled content ( ≥20% )
- Additional background information about the material source
- Certificate of origin or validation of any recycled material claim
- Testing program customized to the material source and potentially higher testing frequency
- Separate STANDARD 100 certificate for virgin materials (blends with virgin materials are allowed when required for manufacturing)
How can recycled materials be labeled?
A hangtag is available to advertise recycled materials in the OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 certified product. Certificate owners can download a customized version from the myOEKO-TEX® portal.
Application Process for STANDARD 100 Certification of Recycled Materials
Follow the standard produres for application and renewal, plus:
- Complete the "Recycled Materials" section of the normal OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 application form
- Include certificate(s) of origin for any recycled materials